Look. I don’t know Kyle Schwarber. I don’t follow the Cubs (much). I leave that to Cubs fanatic Liz Steelman. But, I’ll tell you what I do know:
- He was injured in 2016, and managed to come back and DH a bit in the World Series, in the AL parks. 2016 was the year that Pete Rose and A-Rod did pre- and post-game commentary for FOX and everyone decided they loved A-Rod for the first time ever. Pete Rose was also great, and he kept saying that Schwarber was the Cubs’ “glue guy”. I took this to mean he held the lineup together, like glue, or something. And the Cubs won the 2016 World Series with an injured Kyle Schwarber and all was right in the world.
- Schwarber had meltdown on a third base umpire who called him out on a check swing strike three to end a game. It seemed like he was about to charge the umpire. I’ll post the video and you can judge for yourself.
- Schwarber bats left-handed and has a 5.5 bWAR.
- Schwarber is not having the greatest of years at the plate in 2020. Not terrible, but not great. As of today, August 17, he’s hitting .238 with 3 home runs.
- Kyle Schwarber is on my fantasy team, and I wish him the best. I hope you are staying calm, enjoying the season, staying safe, and maybe start mashing a few more homers?
God bless Schwarbs.